Saturday, April 30, 2022

A New Day

 

As I've said before, the first few days of  any new year have always felt a little fuzzy. Maybe it's the " time out of time " aspect, or the uncertainty of a new beginning.( Yes, I know it's Beltane Eve. Still trying to navigate 2022.)

Maybe it's that these days are drenched with seasonal superstition and ritual. I love all of it and wish it would last just a wee bit longer...but then again, the fact that it's fleeting and impermanent makes it all the more special. I try to pack as much meaning into these few precious days as I can, and I'm not always successful.

Ah, well...we humans often fail with the things we want to hold close. To paraphrase some ancient philosopher whose name escapes me at the moment,  "At first you must be willing to let go of that which you wish to hold onto tightly."

Pandemic not withstanding, the last couple of years have been a miasma of hellishness, especially in the US where I live.I think it's been a much needed eye-opener for all of us here that the image of America we've presented to the world is little more than a mask. We've been deceiving ourselves as to who we really are, and I for one as a citizen am ashamed to admit that we've foisted that image and perpetuated it onto the rest of the world. We can and must do better in the coming year and moving forward. May we spend time exploring our roots in order for the true story of our history to emerge and replace the inventions wrought by colonization at the whim of our ancestors, no matter how painful that may be.

So too, we need to take a hard look at who we are in our Occult/ Pagan/ Witch ?/Whatever-you-prefer-to-call-it community. It's not only about how we identify as individuals, but how we are seen in the wider world. ( And yes, this is an old saw, and yes, I am personally a bit nonplussed by the whole subject because we have beaten this dead horse into dust...and yet...yet...we still have to keep coming back to it because we still have lessons to learn.) In fact, Pathos Pagan just posted an article about this very thing today. It's a timely coincidence and worth reading.

I will be the first to confess that I have a tart tongue and an armory full of snark at the ready and am not afraid to use them when I feel the situation requires that response. Because sometimes the fuckery is such it demands a heaping helping of bitchiness. Like all things, however, experience has taught me when it's necessary and maturity on what and whom to unleash it. At least I'd like to think so, and believe me, I know I've been mistaken.

How we approach one another does matter. It matters individually, it matters in relation to how we're seen by others, and it matters as to the vibration it sets off in the Universe. It affects our energy and  magickal ability- " like begets like" is a very real thing and not just another pap saying. Before being cheapened by New Age clap-trap, the Law of Attraction was and is still a very necessary  element of magick because characteristics of particular types of spellwork are symbiotic. Those who think highly of themselves, who think their snarkiness (online in particular) is proof of  being a superior or clever, gifted being are in for a very hard fall eventually...because it is a universal truth that you reap what you sow. Constantly being a smart ass may favorably impress a few in a particular fish pond on Facebook, but in the larger scheme of things, does that really matter? It's all ego, smoke and mirrors...so let's all try to mind our manners and be a little kinder to each other in our social media discourse.

That's not what I actually wanted this post to be about, but I feel better for getting it out of the way because it's been bothering me.

It's a new day, in a new year. It's a clean slate, a blank journal waiting to be written. And guess what? You and I get to write it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for reading Broom With A View - Your comments are welcome and appreciated.