Monday, June 6, 2011

Ultimate Healing


One of our Crone Grandmothers died earlier tonight. Barbara was the Matriarch of the UU Fellowship I belong to; her parents were among the founders. She wasn't a Pagan, but she was a beautiful beacon of light, an all encompassing and compassionate soul. Her moon glow white hair was always in place, and her make-up was immaculate. She wore understated, stylish clothing of quality and continued to carry herself regally into her 80th year.

She held forth with liberal politics and humanist spirituality in a no nonsense, but kind way. She was the very essence of what a Southern Lady ought to be, and she could be a Steel Magnolia when it was required. Barbara worried about everyone; she wanted to make sure everyone had enough to eat and a roof over their heads. She'd become the power of attorney of another elderly member of the Fellowship who is slipping toward the cliff that is Alzheimer's because she has no living relatives. We'd have lively conversations about everything, because Barbara was interested in everything.

As I write this, word of her passing is just beginning to trickle down through the many people whose lives she touched. Tonight is a night of personal grief, but not of sorrow. I know that where ever she has gone, that gorgeous inner light of hers is illuminating her passage, and I suspect that when the boat that came for her pulled up to the dock, she smiled graciously at the Ferryman with  those wonderful painted red lips and said enthusiastically, "Oh, I just adore boat rides!" I'm certain Cleopatra had nothing on Barbara when she crossed the River Styx tonight.

I don't know where she is tonight,because I don't know where we end up when we die... but I do know with every fiber of my being that Death is the Ultimate Healing, which is the greatest comfort anyone could ask for.

Death, as Life, is a Mystery to be experienced and savored. Fear of this Unknown is not justified, because where ever it happens to be, we simply go home. We just go home.


3 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute. So sorry to hear of your loss. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your friend. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of my grandmother. She is still with us but health is slowly deteriorating. I must remember this when her time comes. Thank you for sharing. Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for reading Broom With A View - Your comments are welcome and appreciated.